Deolali is a Class 1 cantonment established in the year 1869.It is situated at a plateau of 2000 feet, surrounded by picturesque Sahyadri ranges, 200 kms away on The Central Railway from the Mumbai and 556.52 meter above the sea level. Deolali Cantonment falls under the district Nashik - an all India Hindu pilgrimage center. Deolali Cantonment is situated on the banks of river Darna and a natural position in the Sahyadri ranges of Igatpuri and Trymbak Ranges. Deolali is very popular as a hill station and a health resort in Maharashtra.Deolali has numerous sanitariums most of which was build by Gujarati and Parsee communities. Deolali camp was opened as a Main Depot for the arrival and departure of troops in 1870. i.e. one year after it was gazetted a Cantt.The Indian staff college was raised in 1904.Subsequently it was moved to quetta, now in Pakistan. Deolali had its expansion during the first World War, when a number of training camps and hospitals were added.The prestigious School of Artillery is located in Deolali which was moved here from Kakul, now in Pakistan, 1941.
The present building of the Cantonment Board Office was bought by the Cantonment Board Deolali on 1st Oct. 1935 for Rs. 5000/-. However, originally the building was a canteen for the British soldiers. The necessity to construct a Canteen building was projected by the QMG in January 1868 which was accepted by the Government of Bombay in their resolution no. 804 of 13th July 1868. But the plan was approved much later and the work for Rs. 28286/- was ordered to be included in the financial year 1873-74. Ultimately the work was sanctioned for Rs. 23988/-. Subsequently a coffee shop was added in the plan and the tender submitted by Mr. Sorabjee Dosabhoy for Rs. 25594/- was accepted. The building was constructed in 1873. Deolali Cantonment Board offices are in this building now. A major fire broke out in this building on 1st December 1883 between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m. and destroyed the northern half, housing Coffee Shop, Canteen Room etc.